Department No: 031140
Reports to: Engineering/Drafting Manager
Reporting Employee: None
Work Schedule: As arranged
Location: Norco, CA
Exemption status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
Job Code: 3621
Work Comp: 8810E
Benefits Tier: 3
This position is responsible for interpreting architectural and interior design drawings and applying that information to create 2D shop drawings noting additional details based upon customer specifications and materials using AutoCAD. The incumbent will be required to make changes or updates to CAD shop drawings for production after initial approval while incorporating knowledge of shop construction techniques and field dimensions related to casework, millwork, countertops and cabinetry. This incumbent will work within a multi-functional team to review job requirements, manage changes in drawings and additions in order to create a clearly defined path of construction for shop.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
Provides technical support through drafting and detailing services for WB Powell’s customers including architects and/or designers with their millwork/casework product requests.
- Assists in the layout design and specified materials to use to best fit the customers’ needs.
- Provides product layout drawings and construction set of plans which meet the customer’s needs while adhering to any applicable codes and regulations.
- Maintains detailed plan information in a resource library to be used by Project Manager.
- Develops and modifies existing products from established standard specifications.
- Coordinates development of the quote estimate with all functional departments as required.
- Manages the communication of the quotation package to the sales team involved.
- Other duties/projects as assigned
Provides technical support to production operations through drafting and detailing services for customer's millwork product requests.
- Provides complete, detailed and accurate drawings to manufacturing operations.
- Prepares production information (i.e. drawings, cut lists, BOM) providing the necessary information for programming, machining and assembly operations.
- Provides detailed drawings for use in purchasing outsourced product.
- Maintains a library of standard design, drawings and specifications.
- Works directly with shop floor personnel on issues and manufacturing concerns, ensuring continuous product and process improvements.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
The work environment for this position is primarily in an office setting. As W. B. Powell is a manufacturer of architectural millwork and casework the incumbent could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the incumbent must be able to tolerate some exposure to these workplace characteristics. The incumbent must also follow allow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Must be able to sit at desk for an eight-hour shift (with intermittent movement).
- Occasionally will be required to lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products, tools, and equipment.
- See, hear and communicate with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
- Must be alert and aware of surrounding for safety concerns.
- Education: Associates degree or certificate in CAD Drafting, Mechanical, or Product Engineering; or equivalent experience.
- Experience: 1-3 years’ experience is preferred for this position using AutoCAD in a millwork/cabinet or wood/plastic producing environment.
- He/She must have a thorough understanding of AutoCAD; proven skills in floor plan, elevation and approval drawing formats. Preferred past experience using Microvellum in CNC Programming tasks.
- Ability to become quickly familiar with and to develop a thorough understanding of WB Powell’s offerings.
- This position requires an individual that can handle multiple projects at one time.
- Must have the ability to work effectively in a team environment that requires cross training, open communication, and team development and improvement activities.
- Must be well-composed while under pressure maintaining positive attitude at all times in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and analysis skills required accompanied with a persona of a high character teammate.
- Demonstrable experience with PCs, must be proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with all levels of employees.
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- Must maintain safe maintenance practices and adhere to safety requirements.
- The incumbent must reside within a reasonable distance of the Corona, CA area to service this location.