POSITION: Journeyman Cabinetmaker
Department: Factory Variable
Department No: 031140
Reports to: Production Manager
Reporting Employee: None
Work Schedule: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday with overtime pending business need
Location: Norco, CA
Exemption status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
Job Code: 3905
Work Comp: 2812C
Benefits Tier: 3
The Journeyman Cabinetmaker is responsible for fabricating component parts and assembly of high-end custom millwork and fixtures according to customer specifications. The incumbent will have high personal expectations for safety, quality, detail and productivity. The incumbent assists fellow team members with less experience to enhance techniques supportive of quality workmanship.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities:
- Sets up and operates variety of woodworking machines and uses various hand tools to fabricate high-end custom commercial cabinets, casework, millwork and fixtures in a safe manner with attention to quality always.
- Reviews blueprints or drawings of articles to be constructed, and plans sequence of operations to be performed.
- Sets up and operates woodworking machines according to safety standards, such as power saws, jointer, mortiser, tenoner, molder, and shaper, to cut and shape parts from wood stock.
- Applies exterior surface materials such as laminates, veneers, and cap strips according to customer and WB Powell brand expectations.
- With high level of competence completes cabinetmaking actions including:
- trimming component parts of joints to ensure snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files;
- boring holes for insertion of screws or dowels by hand or using boring machine;
- driving nails or other fasteners into joints at designated places to reinforce joints according to customer specifications and quality standards;
- sanding and scraping surfaces and joints of articles to prepare articles for finishing;
- installing any necessary hardware, such as hinges, catches, and drawer pulls;
checks materials and finished products to ensure compliance with quality standards and customer specifications.
- Maintains production documentation as required.
- Ensures work area is safe, clean and organized, and that equipment is safe to operate.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Physical Requirements of the Job:
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Manual dexterity -- Ability to be able to move your hands quickly to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Extent Flexibility -- The ability to bend stretches, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs. Typically bends, stoops, and turns/pivots to move perform production activities.
- Trunk Strength -- The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Static Strength -- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 70 pounds on a rare basis, 21-50 pounds occasionally, and up to 20 pounds on a frequent basis. Typically pushes, pulls, and grasps wood products to complete production tasks. A 2-person lift is required for anything over 50 pounds.
- Stamina -- The ability to exert you physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath; must be able to walk/stand for the duration of the assigned shift in intervals of 3-4 hours in department assigned.
- Dynamic Strength -- The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Multi-limb Coordination -- The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing.
- Typically requires full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products and/or tools.
- Gross Body Coordination -- The ability to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and torso together when the whole body is in motion while performing production functions.
About the Work Environment:
WB Powell is a manufacturer of custom cabinetry products; the incumbent could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the factory setting. Due to regular time spent on the factory floor, the incumbent must be able to tolerate some exposure to these work place characteristics. The incumbent must also follow all company safety procedures; including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: Required: GED or High School Diploma; at least 4-5 years’ experience in cabinet shop environment. Preferred: Technical degree in cabinetry and apprenticeship experience.
- Ability to recognize size/grade/quality of materials used.
- Ability to understand and carry out direction quickly and with minimal supervision monitoring own work and quality.
- Ability to match materials for color, grain, and/or texture.
- Must be well-composed while under pressure maintaining positive attitude at all times in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Must be a great team player.
- Willing to work overtime as needed and be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Proficient in use of wood shop tools and possess troubleshooting aptitude.
- Demonstrable cognitive ability to read blueprints and numbers, follow verbal and written instructions in English, and work independently; ability to add, subtract, multiple, and divide in units of measure to 1/16”.
- Adheres to established work process and fully understands established quality standards to assure company quality guidelines.
- Must maintain safe maintenance practices and adhere to WB Powell and OSHA safety requirements.
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- The incumbent must reside within a reasonable distance of assigned location.
- Travel: None